Thursday, June 24, 2010

Polished Turd

I made the mistake of following up the extremely well-written THE PASSAGE with THE GIRLS WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST. It's too soon to render a final judgment, but at this point I'm seriously thinking about abandoning the book altogether. Not only is the book witholding the only character I care anything about, Lisbeth Salander, but it's not even giving me much Mary Sue Blomqvist. Only a whole passel of indistinguishable thugs and cops who serve merely to spout exposition and do incredibly stupid things like refer to a Colt 1911 Government Model as a revolver. And the book has a really irritating chrome dust jacket that keeps reminding of the time the Mythbusters proved you actually can polish a turd. Should I hang it up?

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

3 comments:

Stewart said...

My wife had the same impression of the book, more or less. I've not picked it up yet to confirm-or-deny. The first book was much superior to the second, so I'm afraid to see if the downhill slide will continue or not.

Still, once you've read 1500+ pages... why not finish off the last 500 or so?

Tyler Dilts said...

She's absolutely right. I'm still hacking away at it, because you're right about the last 500. I'm thinking of it as a learning experience.

nfl said...

cheap game nfl jerseys
cheap elite nike nfl jereys