Saturday, June 26, 2010

There's Yer Problem

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's NestSo I'm still plugging away at Stieg Larsson's THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST.  It's not getting any better, but I think I've figured the biggest problem with the book, and with the "Millennium Trilogy" itself.  Each book in the series assumes that the reader has somehow gotten stupider since the last installment.  THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is written in such a way that a person with a normal level of intelligence will be able to understand it.  THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE seems to be aimed at average high school dropouts, while HORNET'S NEST is clearly aimed utter morons.  Lest you think I'm exaggerating,  here's an actual line from the book: "six feet tall and weighed 150 pounds, which meant that he was thin and wiry."  Am I overreacting?  Call me on it if I am.  But I honestly feel a little bit insulted.  
I think I'm going to keep reading, though.  I'm learning a lot.  I haven't read a book that was genuinely horribly written for a long time.  And I'm wondering if he can Lisbeth Salander intriguing again.  We'll see.

2 comments:

HoganWorld said...

The Nike Shox NZ 2.0 SI is great shoe Tiger Shoes for heavy runners and walkers. If you are a big man, the Nike Shox NZ 2.0 SI will work a lot better than the Nike Max Airs. If you have never worn Nike Shox before, Franklin Marshall Store then you will need to know that the shoe is not as comfortable right out of the box. You must "break your Shox in". Once the Shox are broke in, D&G sunglasses they tend to be more comfortable and durable for heavier people. Lighter people may want to stick to the Nike Air Max shoes.

nfl said...

cheap game nfl jerseys
cheap elite nike nfl jereys