Sunday, July 18, 2010

AmazonEncore

Hey everybody,

I've had great big bunches of people ask me about AmazonEncore and all the ins and outs of who they are and what they're doing.

To start off, though, I want to tell you a bit about the history of A KING OF INFINITE SPACE.  I started writing AKoIS quite a while ago when I was in the MFA program in fiction writing at California State University, Long Beach.  The first third of the book was my thesis project.  After I graduated, I spent about two more years working on the manuscript.  When I finally had a draft of the completed novel I was reasonably happy with, I pursued the traditional avenues of publication.  With  THE NOVEL AND SHORT STORY WRITER'S MARKET in hand, I drafted a query letter, researched agents, and went on a submission spree.  It took a bit of leg work and a lot of postage, but Maria Carvainis agreed to represent the novel.  With her help, and with the help of the amazing Moira Sullivan, I undertook a set of revisions that improved the novel immensely and produced a version very close to the book that's now available.

Maria submitted the book many, many times, and received many, many rejections.  Ultimately, there were no takers.  She even told me that AKoIS was the best book that she had represented that she couldn't sell.  She shared many of the publisher's responses with me and they were very positive in their remarks about the writing, but for one reason or another, it didn't meet anyone's needs.  When she had exhausted all the avenues open to her, Maria regrettably let the book go.

Without an agent representing the book, my options were now more limited.  I took another pass at the manuscript and did some minor polishing, but ultimately there was nothing to do--it was the book I wanted it to be.  I submitted the book a few times on my own to a small house that took unsolicited submissions, but had no luck.

I didn't want to give up on the book, but I didn't know what other choices there were.

To be continued . . .