Saturday, August 14, 2010

AmazonEncore, Part Four

Hello everyone,

Sorry about the delay in continuing the AmazonEncore thread.  We had a whole bunch of stuff going on, some of which was good and some of which wasn't, but things have settled down and everything's getting back to normal here at Infinite Space central.

And now, back to our topic.  AmazonEncore and how A King of Infinite Space was made it into their initial lineup of publications.

After the frenzy of online activity that came with the World Parade Release and the subsequent Amazon push, I settled into a more sedate and manageable routine.  I maintained the AKoIS Facebook group, blogged on a weekly basis, and arranged as many signings, readings, and other book related events as I could manage.  This kept a fair amount of traffic on the book's Amazon page, and the sales settled down to steady and satisfactory (by small press standars) pace.  In this phase of the process, one of the most important things I was able to do was to develop a solid number of favorable reader reviews.  This turned out to be instrumental in the next stage of the process.

A few months after the book's release on Amazon, while I was trying to maintain the book's momentum, I heard that Amazon was going to start its own publishing imprint, and that a significant portion of its new titles would be selected from among the independent and small press titles using Amazon's Print-On-Demand services.  Sales and reviews would have a significant influence in the selection process. 

Immediately I began to think about ways to increase the book's performance.  I planned another Amazon push, and began writing a posting for the blog and Facebook group to urge readers to write more reviews.  While I was working on this, though, Paul Tayyar called me and told me AmazonEncore wanted to pick up A King of Infinite Space.  I couldn't believe the news.  Just as was developing strategies to attract Amazon's attention, I discovered that I already had.

AmazonEncore has been terrific to work with, and I feel very fortunate to be a part of their lineup of authors.  They do a great job of combining traditional publishing with new digital technologies.   I'm very pleased with the trade paperback version of A King of Infinite Space, and who better to partner with in terms of e-publishing than the people who invented the Kindle?

7 comments:

patrick said...

Hey Tyler,

Just finished AKoIS and it was a great book. Kudos on great research, great writing, and bringing the relevant elements of your life into it.

One quibble: I don't know if it was my Kindle format, but I think I found a significant typo: when Danny is reading the school personnel file on Beth Williams, he says she was born in 1979 and graduated college in 1991; that would make her only 12 years old. He also says she started teaching at the school in 1995; I don't get the impression that she was there for almost 15 years. Please check, I am just wondering. Overall, great job.

Claudia Ka said...

Hello, I am from Brazil and visited your blog. I Have a musical blog, and I would like your visit. We could be virtual friends... Regards, Claudia. www.temperomusical.blogspot.com

Mike Faricy Author said...

Tyler, I enjoyed reading your posts. I'm just getting up and started in promoting although I've got my 8th eBook coming out in June. It would be a hell of a lot easier if I didn't have to sleep or work a day job. Wishing you all the best and congrats on the well deserved attention AmazonEncore has given you. By the way, I'm in complete agreement with your assessment of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Happy reading and writing, Mike Faricy

Royn-Ber Wendjaifa said...

It seems that you're right on top of this internet publishing thing...maybe it isn't just a fad after all as I thought...

HoganWorld said...

Unlike other series, as it first released by Nike in 1987, Nike has frequently introduced new and updated models in the same product line. From the first pair of Nike Air Max,
Motorcycle Fairings the advantage of Nike Air Max shoe Asics Tiger is using of large air cushioning unit at he heel which is visible from the side of the midsole in most models. Different types of Air Max cushioning include "Air Max2" which does not have the "holes" in the cushioning unit and is of high pressure,Beats By Dre

Robin said...

Just finished reading both of your books - out of order. Amazon had featured the Kindle version of The Pain Scale for $2.00 and being a sucker for a bargain and needing a beach read for the weekend, I bought it. I was completely hooked right from the start as as soon as I finished it, I bought AKoIS. Just finished that and all I can say is when is the next book coming out????? I love your style and the sly, wiseass musings of Danny Beckett when he isn't wallowing in melancholy. I want more!

Robin said...

Just finished reading both of your books - out of order. Amazon had featured the Kindle version of The Pain Scale for $2.00 and being a sucker for a bargain and needing a beach read for the weekend, I bought it. I was completely hooked right from the start. As soon as I finished it, I bought AKoIS. Just finished that and all I can say is when is the next book coming out????? I love your style and the sly, wiseass musings of Danny Beckett when he isn't wallowing in melancholy. I want more!